This beautiful art project is a twofer, you get a three dimensional art project during the day, and a beautifully back lit silhouette by night.
You'll need a few things for this project:
- A canvas
- card stock to fit the canvas
- cardboard to cover the back of your canvas
- Christmas lights
- X-acto Knife
- Command Strips
- Clear Photo Corners (optional)
- Paint for the canvas edges (optional)
The author over at the Scrap Shoppe handles the tutorial quite well, so check out our source for more information on the how to. She also suggests trying out different colors of card stock.
However, we have a few suggestions of our own:
- Play with the coloring of the stamps as well as the card stock. The subtle grey on brown is gorgeous, but for such beautiful floral flowers how would this project look with corals and teals instead of the grey?
- Try different designs cut out. For example, she already mentioned how she made the butterfly and added little patterns inside the flowers, but what happens if you shave a little extra off of he leaves in key places? What if you cut small slits down the center of the leaves?
- Also try different colors for the actual Christmas lights. If you choose to do this the cardboard might be better velcroed to the back so you can change out the lights easier depending on your canvas.
Did you make this project yourself? We'd love to see photos, especially if you used a contrasting stamp color or different colored lights.